Sunday, December 07, 2008

If Tomorrow Starts Without Me

A week ago tomorrow we laid my grandma to rest. It was probably the most difficult day of my entire life and I'm still trying to come to terms with it. I just can't believe she's gone. I feel so lonely without her. There's just a HUGE, HUGE void now that she is no longer with us. I'm so incredibly sad.

Jerry received this poem in the mail and was told to share it with my family. It's perfect for my gram.

If tomorrow starts without me,
And I'm not there to see,
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
all filled with tears for me,

I wish so much you wouldn't cry

The way you did today,
While thinking of the many things,
We didn't get to say.

I know how much you love me,
As much as I love you,
and each time that you think of me,
I know you'll miss me too.

But when tomorrow starts without me,
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name,
And took me by the hand,

And said my place was ready,
In heaven far above,
And that I'd have to leave behind
All those I dearly love.

But as I turned to walk away,
A tear fell from my eye
For all my life, I'd always thought,
I didn't want to die.

I had so much to live for,
So much left yet to do,
It seemed almost impossible,
That I was leaving you.

I thought of all the yesterdays
The good ones and the bad,
I thought of all the love we shared,
and all the fun we had.

If I could re-live yesterday
Just even for a while,
I'd say good-bye and kiss you
And maybe see you smile.

But then I fully realized,
That this could never be,
For emptiness and memories,
would take the place of me.

And when I thought of worldly things,
I might miss come tomorrow,
I thought of you and when I did,
My heart was filled with sorrow.

But when I walked through heaven's gates,
I felt so much at home
When God looked down and smiled at me,
From His great golden throne.

He said, "This is eternity,
And all I've promised you.
Today your life on earth is past,
But here life starts anew."

I promise no tomorrow,
But today will always last,
And since each day's the same way
There's no longing for the past.

You have been so faithful,
So trusting and so true.
Though there were times you did some things
You knew you shouldn't do.

But you have been forgiven
And now at last you're free.
So won't you come and take my hand
And share your life with me?

So when tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think we're far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I'm right here in your heart.

Oh Grammy, I miss you so much and I love you with all my heart!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Erica, I am so sorry about the passing of your grandma. I can feel the pain in your heart, and I wish you and your family all the strength and courage in the world.
You and Jerry have a beautiful son, who I keep up with, thanks to your blog! Congratulations on your second one to come...
Love to all 3 of you,
Lynn (Mike Schwartz's Mom.)

Erica said...

Lynn,
Thank you so much for your nice comment. I'm glad you've been able to keep up with us and Jackson through our blog. We do the same with Sydney on her blog! Thank you again for leaving a comment!
Love, Erica

Deca said...

Erica,

I keep you guys in my prayers. It is so hard to lose someone so dear and wonderful as Tia Modesta. =( I didn't talk to her daily, but it is still hard to believe she is really gone. She is, as I am sure many people have told you, resting and at peace now. She is FOREVER with you and your family. I know she is so excited for the new baby to come and will be right there by your side through it all. =) I love you guys and hope that the Lord is with you always, but most importantly through this holiday season.

Deca said...

Oh, I forgot to say that the last comment was from me, Jessica Ybarra.

Love you guys!