So here's the story:
I went in Thursday morning at 9am for a blood pressure check. I had Jackson with me since Jerry was way out in SW Austin teaching a CPR class. I was really trying to relax but definitely had a hard time doing so, especially with Jackson around who kept saying "No, no doctor!" He did NOT want to be there with me. So when the nurse called me back there was no surprise that my bp was crazy high. I told her that I was having a really hard time trying to relax. She was pretty unsympathetic and left to go find my doctor.
Shortly after, she comes back over to me and says that my doctor wants to see me right away. She then adds "Yeah, it looks like you're going to have to be admitted to the hospital so I don't know what you plan to do with him" and points to Jackson! Holy smokes, I wanted to stand up and smack the crap outta her! Thanks for showing me some sympathy and having some compassion towards my 2 year old son! It still makes me so upset thinking about it.
So Jackson and I head over to a room where my doctor is waiting for me. I had already started crying. I was upset about the nurse, I was scared about what was going to happen, I was worried about Jackson, and I was totally freaking out because I didn't know who I'd be able to get a hold of to help me out. My doctor is awesome and she did a great job at calming me down and making me feel a little bit better. She said she'd get a wheelchair for me and that her & her med. assistant would wheel Jackson & me over to the hospital. I asked her if I could have a moment to make some phone calls to try to get a hold of someone. I also wanted some time with Jackson to explain to him what was going on. She said sure and left to get all my paperwork together and the wheelchair. I got a hold of my aunt first...crying, of course! She lives relatively close so I'm glad to have caught her at home. I then tried Jerry. I was worried he would have been teaching his class already but thankfully, he hadn't. He was getting ready to teach to a mom's group so they were pretty understanding about his need to leave.
My doctor came back with the wheelchair and Jackson & I hopped in. He was scared at first. He kept saying he wanted to leave and go get some blueberries. That had been our plan. After the doctor's office, we were going to hit up Super Target to get a baby gift for my friend Ann and to buy some blueberries for Jackson! I felt so bad that we couldn't do that anymore. It just broke my heart!
So Jackson & I got wheeled over to the hospital. He did well and remained really calm. I was glad about that. I just kept telling him that Daddy & Tia were on their way to help take care of us. They took us straight to the triage room where I had to put a gown on and got hooked up to monitors. Jackson had his backpack with him so before I got in bed, I had him get out something to work on. He decided he wanted to color in his tractor coloring book and ended up setting up shop on one of the chairs in the room. I was afraid he'd get scared with everything that was going on but he held up really well. The nurses were really good with him too. They made sure his chair was close to my bed and that he was able to see me at all times being as I was having to lie on my left side. All the while, I was still shedding a few tears. I was just so upset! Plus, I still didn't know what the heck was going to happen to me!
Jackson & I were alone for a while before my aunt showed up. I can't even begin to stress how proud of him I was. He handled the whole situation so well. Such a big boy! One of the nurses came in and finally let me in on what all they were planning on doing. They wanted to run some tests and have my blood pressure monitored every 15 minutes. After they got the results from the tests, my doctor would then decide what to do next.
Shortly after Annie arrived, Jerry showed up. I was glad to see him and of course, I started crying again when he walked in. I was a mess but having him & Annie there really helped to calm me down. My grandpa showed up as well. He ended up taking Jackson home so he could eat and get a nap in.
After 2 hours, all my tests came back normal and my blood pressure fell significantly. Still my doctor put me on bed rest for who knows how long and they diagnosed me with pregnancy induced hypertension. So no cooking, no cleaning, no shopping, minimal walking, etc... When I heard that, I thought, OH MY GOD how are we going to deal with this, especially with a 2 year old at home!?! I was glad though that I was able to be sent home. I would have hated to have to stay at the hospital. So sometime after noon, I was discharged.
I see my doctor again on Thursday and I'm hoping that all goes well. Since I've been home and on bed rest, my blood pressure has remained stable. It's a tad bit elevated but nothing like what it was at the doctor's office or the hospital but I definitely experience way more anxiety there than I do at home. My family helped us out over the weekend and my mother-in-law is here for the week so it's nice to get some help around here because I can only do so much.
I'm 34 weeks this week and am really looking forward to meeting this little girl soon. Although I definitely want her to 'cook' for a little bit longer, she's given me a sure run for my money and I am so over this pregnancy. It hasn't been too fun and now with the health issues I'm running into, I'm just ready to move on. Keep us in your thoughts!
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You both were such troopers. Thank goodness for all the support. All the Cohens are in my thoughts!! And... I wanna smack that nurse, too!
I am so sorry to read what you have been going through. =( I will keep you all in my prayers!! If you ever need anything I am usually free to help out. 512-809-8333 if you ever need help. I hope things only get better for you all!
Oh, that sucks! Hang in there. You are almost at the end. I wish we didn't live so far apart, now. I'll keep thinking about you and Delaney (and jackson and Jerry). This can't be easy for anyone.
Thanks girls! We're all hanging in there! Thank goodness, it's almost over!
Post a Comment