Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Taming of the Small Toy Clutter!

A blog I read was holding a Taming Kid Clutter Linky Party. I've been waiting for this because I'm dying to get some more ideas on how to tame the insane amount of toys we have in this house. I decided to go ahead and share what I've done to contain the smaller toys in Jackson's room. We were lucky enough to have my grandpa build Jackson this awesome bookcase/storage unit. I love that Jackson will always have this piece of furniture that his great-grandpa made for him!

So I bought clear storage bins in various sizes, sorted the toys, assigned them a box, labeled them (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my label maker), and put them up on the shelves. Jackson has a stool he uses to reach whatever he wants to play with. He really likes being able to stand up on his stool and play there on that flat surface above the cabinets.

The top row holds his collection of children's paperback books. He's too rough with those so for now they're up high and we look at those together. He has access to all his board books, which are in the cabinets below.

I didn't take a picture of it but in the drawers are all of Jackson's art supplies. I love having those drawers to store all the craft/art stuff!!






In the cabinets, there are 8 bins full of goodies. The green and striped bins hold some of Jackson's board books. There's another large bin in his room that holds a bunch of books, I just didn't take a picture of it. The top shelf holds more toys - stacking cups & blocks, mega blocks, wooden alphabet blocks, and a variety of balls. I took pictures of what was inside the bins to place on the outside of the bin so Jackson could see what was inside. I've printed out the pictures, I just haven't gotten around to placing them on the bins. It's on my mile long list of things to do!



I've really loved being able to contain all the clutter in this way! Jackson's not so overwhelmed by his toys, he's learning to clean up a lot better after himself, and he's learning that everything has a place! That's what I live by...everything has a place! If everything has a place, life is so much easier!!!

2 comments:

CKY said...

I'm definitely going to have to do something like this some day, because I love everything to be very neat and organized!

Anonymous said...

You think the boy would have learned in utero. I remember you telling me when you were pregnant with him how you made Jerry organize under your bathroom sink.