Thursday, September 11, 2008

In Remembrance...


Today was the annual 9/11 Firefighter Memorial Stair Climb. Jerry once again participated along with 30 or so other firefighters from the area. I had to miss yet again as Jackson & I are both sick. The guys climbed the training tower 110 times equal to the 110 flights of stairs at the World Trade Center. They wore their entire bunker gear plus air packs. Their goal was to complete the climb for the 343 firefighters who lost their lives that day. A couple of news crews were out filming but unfortunately because of ugly Mr. Ike churning in the Gulf it wasn't given the time of day. actually, KXAN showed maybe 2 seconds worth and that was it. I'm extremely disappointed about that. The fact that these guys come back year after year to honor those fallen firefighters is something worth acknowledging. Stupid Ike! So here on my little old blog I acknowledge Jerry and Josh and Chris and all the other guys who went out today to honor their fallen comrades! And thanks Mom for calling today to let us know that you were thinking of Jerry. That was very sweet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I had been scanning the news all day yesterday looking for the story, since i knew Jerry participated every year. How disappointing that it was basically a blip on the channel I saw it on. Thank you to Jerry and his co-workers who not only do that in rememberece of the fallen, but who go to work everday to keep us all safe.

oh, ps...sorry that you are sick. i'm sure it makes setting up your new house more difficult.